Sunday, 27 July 2008
Here is the most recent spread of my Garden Altered Book. I've mounted the rest of the wild flowers I pressed, and on the background have used some bits from a couple of paper napkins, to add some interest. The four leaf clover on the bottom right is one my daughter found some forty odd years ago!
I really must start thinking about some leaves - bit early for an Autumn spread though ........
Sunday, 20 July 2008
I've also made the Book Cover/Wrap, and thought I would share the process.
I prepared the layers, as before and as Annette's recipe, except I used another piece of rusted fabric (previously rusted and posted a few months back) with more pattern, as shown on the left hand side. I laid all the torn pieces of oiled paper down, plus TWO layers of chiffon - one emerald green colour with a gold thread in it and then the black on top. I pinned and stitched all the pieces down through all the layers, then went back and free stitched the spaces in betweeen. Click on the pic above to get a closeup look - you can see the stitching on the right hand side.
I then gave the piece a blast with the heatgun and magic happened - all that lovely texture! You can clearly see the 'rusted' fabric showing through.
I decided to use the last of the rusted fabric to line the Book Wrap. I was delighted with the texture so far, and as it will be handled quite a bit I decided not to add any extra texture this time - nor did I paint it at all. The book itself is about 10" x 6" and the cover protrudes about an inch, top and bottom. To stop the book sliding out, I have wrapped the fabric around the front of the book and stitched it top and bottom, to form a pocket for the front cover to go into - then the rest of the cover wraps around to the front, and is fastened by a loop going over the beads.
This just shows the book open, exposing the rusted lining. What about that fabric stitched label then, with the word 'authentic' on it, together with a ribbon. I pinched it from a new pair of trousers my daughter bought from Marks & Spencer! Perfect colouring, I couldn't resist it.......
Saturday, 12 July 2008
The rules are as follows
Put the Logo on your blog.
Add a link to the person who nominated you.
Nominate up to 7 other blogs.
Add a link to those blogs on your blog.
Leave a message for your nominees on their blogs.
There are so many wonderful blogs out there, I would need to be able to nominate at least 70 not 7, so I've decided to accept the Award gratefully, but not pass it on. Hope you don't feel I am a party-pooper, but at least there are no 'hurt' feelings. A heartfelt THANKYOU to all of you who visit my blog and feel inspired by what I do.
I haven't blogged my Calendar Girls Postcards for the month of June - so will do just that, right now.....
Here is the inspiration from the actual calendar, and this is the lovely Card I received from Jenny in North Wales. She says the background is a computer printout on silk chiffon, and coloured in, with an added ribbon. The sunflower is made of woven petals and has a beaded centre. Thankyou Jenny - I love it.
This is the card I made for Joanna, which has a fabric paper background, with a twisted red textured 'ribbon' held down with beads on a piece of organza. The sunflower is a cutout piece of lace that is dyed, painted and stitched.
You can see all the other beautiful cards made for the month of June by the other Calendar Girls by just clicking on the Calendar Girls Logo on the right hand side of my Blog.
P.S. I started this post on the 12th July - and completed it today the 15th. I haven't worked out how to change the date when I put it in as a Draft!..........
Thursday, 10 July 2008
I added some green and yellowish acrylic paint to some of the lichen - I think it looks a bit more interesting...
I've also been layering some dyed bits and other stuff under a piece of brown lace, topped off with some chiffon. I free stitched it all around the lace shapes, then blasted it with a heat gun, and finally washed it over with a watery acrylic gold paint. I am quite pleased with the result. It is nice a soft and will be easy to stitch, but I think I'll still make another piece of 'bark' for my Garden book cover.
Thursday, 3 July 2008
The Recipe I borrowed from Juanita Olson's Recipe Card in Issue 14 of Cloth Paper Scissors - I do hope she doesn't mind!
I really must give the book cover some consideration .............