Sunday 1 July 2007

the Artist's Muse Challenge 3

I was having trouble a week or so back thinking what I could achieve for this challenge. and whilst 'tidying' my various pieces of lace (fawning, drooling and stroking would be better words!) I had a 'what if......' moment, and cut a cotton lace trimmed doily into quarters and placed a quarter in each corner of a piece of Timtex.
A few hours later, and a lot of shifting and cutting of lace pieces, I had the makings of a book
cover, which I then machine stitched into place, cut a calico backing, and zigzagged all around the edge.
At this stage it was all shades of cream and white. I gave both sides a greenish colour wash, then whilst still damp, added various colours to the lacey side, letting the colours run. When it was dry I finished off with a watered down Galactica wash, which dried leaving very subtle glitter over it. It looks and reminds me of fantasy gardens, fairy gardens and make believe.
I will eventually make some appropriate pages and complete the book.
I used to read the book The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett to my daughter when she was little, and we both loved it.

12 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Love the colors and the lace.

Anonymous said...

Val this piece is stunning. Such wonderful colors and the imagery from the lace really pulls it all together. Nicely done.

Carol said...

I love it Val - I want ! It really does have the feel of the secret garden too. Clever you

Susan D said...

Beautiful colours for a secret garden.

Papoosue said...

yes, that's exactly what it makes me think of too - it's just gorgeous. Those colours are perfect.

dot said...

It's fab Val,I'm a sucker for lacey doileys, makes me feel inspired to use some of mine. I have a question.... whats "galactica" and what did you use to paint it?? That's two questions sorry!!!

Purple Missus said...

This is wonderful Val. I love the colours and yes it reminds me too of a secret garden. Its lovely.
I'm with Kartklan - can you tell me what 'galactica' is too please - I thought it was a star ship :)

Val said...

I'm sorry ladies, I should have said - Galactica is a make of paint From Stewart Gill, just like glitter. When mixed with water before use, it dries like fairy dust. Straight from the jar it dries solid glitter.

Doreen G said...

Fantastic Val--My Stewart Gill paints dried up in the jar -much to my annoyance.

Alis Clair said...

Beautiful Val. Such gorgeous colours.

Unknown said...

This is realy stunning Val,
the texture and colours are beautiful

Digitalgran said...

That is going to make a lovley book cover Val. A wonderful 'what if' moment.