I thought I would blog this picture of an experiment that was left mid way, sort of thing. When I was preparing the piece to make the Oil Lamp in the previous post last week, I made up two pieces in case I needed extra - like you do. (the one I used, and this piece) The textures were different, obviously, but the colourings were the same, as I painted both pieces at the same time.
The picture on the left is the result of stamping a piece of felt with acrylic paint, free machine stitching around, then blasting it with a heatgun, trying to make something lacey! I didn't think much of it, so left it to one side. When wanting something extra for the Oil Lamp I pulled it in half and stitched half to some felt and kept throwing paint and stuff at it, until it looked alright. The moral of this little tale is 'don't throw your failures away - throw paint at them until they submit' You can always make them into beautiful postcards to swap or ATCs or even Journal/Book Covers. The piece on the right will now form part of our A5 Experiments Gallery at our Exhibition next May, so nothing is wasted.
Click on the picture to see a closeup of the texture - I reckon it is unrecognisable from the picture on the left.