Thursday, 2 July 2009

I've done some more .....!

I've been away for a few days, and before I went I decided to try my hand at some more rust dyeing - I have only done it once before, and my stash is all finished up.
I rolled the calico, and a bit of muslin, around a rusty old chain and some bicycle bits and some very old iron nails, poured half a cup of malt vinegar and half a cup of salt over it, put the tin in a clear plastic bag, and popped it in the greenhouse.


Five days later it all looked like this - what magic nature does weave!! Maybe the very hot weather helped it along......
You can see the imprint of the bicycle bits, but on this particular piece I have green and blue colours as well as the rust - I am amazed and delighted! It might be something to do with the base fabric being old white cotton sheeting?
Another pattern - different base fabric.

Sorry this pic. is a bit blurred, I was shaking with excitement! I rolled a very rusty long chain into this piece, and the patterns are amazing. All the pieces look even better now they are ironed.

Talking of being amazed - look what's growing on the bark of a tree in my garden - it is very hard and firm, and the gorgeous surface of each one looks like velvet! Just beautiful.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Your rust dyed fabric is fantastic and the patterns are wonderful. Who would have thought that such a result would arise from wrapping bits of old sheet etc., round old rusty metal. I shall have to have another go sometime. The fungus growing on your tree is such a lovely texture.

Doreen G said...

Oooh rusty bits--yummy--and how good is the tree trunk.
Great photo.

quiltchick said...

Lovely pieces of fabric Val....rust dyeing can be very addictive!

Melvin said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
Melvin
One Stop shop for all your Email Marketing Solutions