Monday 1 September 2008

Dale's Workshop - Lesson 3 (and some postcards)

This week we did 'weaving'..... I decided to use some printed chiffon, variegated blue/green silk and very dark green polyester velvet (as above). I tore the chiffon and the silk into strips and embellished them alternately into the velvet, then I cut the piece into three quarter inch strips, diagonally, then wove them together.
I then embellished the woven piece together, and embellished it onto a piece of dark blue felt. The cord weaving around the piece is made from very thin strips of the chiffon, twisted together.
I have realised over the last three weeks that the pieces we are making certainly need further work to become 'a finished piece', and this weaving is no exception. Next week we are embellishing pieces of knitting, so perhaps .............

I have received some love postcards recently:

This beauty is from Debbie (my friend Dot's Sister) who is actually on her way to Australia with her family to live. She made this for me while staying with Dot, who lives in Falmouth, as you can see. Sailing boats, sea and sand. Wonderful.
Very remiss of me - this one is from Joanna, and is my Calendar Girl Card for the month of July. Joanna used ink and fabric paints to re-create the flowers and vase from the calendar inspiration, and the background is angelina. Gorgeous!
This fabulous one is from Lynda (purplemissus) and is my Calendar Girl Card for the month of August. It has three layers of rustdyed using the caustic soda and ferrous sulphate method. Bottom layer is handmade paper, then tyvek, then the flower which is made from lutradur. You can see all the wonderful cards the ladies have made by clicking on the Calendar Girl Logo on the right of my Blog.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I do like the look of your weaving. Lucky you to have Lynda's rust card. It looked wonderful on her blog.

sharon young said...

Love the new embellishing sample, and certainly something I hadn't thought of doing with the machine, Clearly I haven't explored it's potential :-) Thanks so much for sharing your class samples.

Sandy said...

Nice post cards. Don't you love what you get when you weave the felted samples?