Friday 18 February 2011

Catkins ....

Catkins and daffodils in a vase, this time of year, always remind me of my childhood.
There are loads of catkins in my garden at the moment, but no daffs yet, not in bloom anyway!
I must admit, I have never noticed the little red tufts on the top of the buds before, until yesterday, when I had my nose up real close to get some pictures. Aren't they just amazing - such a bright colour.

A couple of little red tufts here too, among all those lambs tails (which reminds me I must try and get a good picture of a newborn lamb.)


I picked a twig of catkins and took some photos indoors, to play with Photoshop Elements .....


Before and ..


after. I'm delighted with this - I used two different textures from Kim Klassen.



Another 'before' - love that little red tuft on the bud ....



and 'after'. I think this texture also came from Kim, though it could be a picture of my baking sheet!

Finally, I did play with one of my snowdrop pictures. I'm quite pleased with that too - I have managed to make the flowers look quite papery, and I love the 'misty/out of focus' background.
Till next time ......


6 comments:

Suztats said...

Great pics, Val, and wonderful photoshop results!

Heather said...

Gorgeous photos of catkins Val - it seems to be a good year for them, and like you they remind me of childhood. I love your photoshop results - clever stuff!

Ati said...

Like what you did with the photo. The Lambs tails are great in that background. You are very clever with photoshop!!

Maggi said...

Gorgeous Val. I haven't seen catkins like that for a long time. Your altered photos are so gentle - lovely.

Linda Vincent said...

Catkins always remind me of the nature table at school :-)
Love your 'Lambs Tails' digital piece ...you chose a great texture.

Alis Clair said...

Wonderful work Val. I love your photo close ups and how you enhanced them.
Don't tell anyone that it may be a baking tray in the background, nobody will know ;0)

I loved seeing your Valentine Card and your wonderful pages in the book.